Need Help with a Legal Problem?

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
1. Consult an attorney, who may be more affordable than you think. Look under “Attorneys” in the Yellow Pages of your local phone book. Many attorneys charge little, if anything, for the first consultation. Also, some may be willing to provide limited legal representation (for example, only preparing a certain document or only reviewing documents that you have already completed.)

2. Visit these two computer websites (if you do not have access to the Internet at home or at work, visit your local public library for assistance):
3. Call the Lawyer Referral and Information Service at 800-362-9082
(if outside Wisconsin, call 608-257-4666.) This public service of the State Bar of Wisconsin offers a Lawyer Hot-line, Lawyer Referral, and Community Referral. Although you will not get legal advice, you will talk to a legal assistant who is experienced in analyzing potential legal problems and in helping you locate the best source for additional help.

4. Low-income individuals may qualify for free legal help from Legal Action of Wisconsin. Call 1-800-236-1128.

5. Court staff can provide general information about court rules, procedures and operations. Court staff can also provide certain forms and instructions. Court staff is not allowed to give legal advice or legal interpretations. For assistance in locating additional legal information, contact your local library or the Wisconsin State Law Library Reference Service at 800-332-9755.