Radon is a radioactive, colorless, odorless gas that occurs naturally in the soil. It enters your home through cracks in the foundation, walls and openings around pipes and sump pumps. It is the leading cause of lung cancer to non-smokers and the 2nd leading cause for smokers. According to the EPA, an estimated 21,000 Americans die each year from lung cancer due to radon.
The only way to know the radon level in a house is to measure it.
Public Health has test kits available. To purchase a radon test kit, call 920-459-3207 or stop in at Health and Human Services, 3rd floor, Monday - Friday, 8:00 A.M. - Noon or 1:00 - 4:30 P.M.
Short-term kits cost $10.
Long-term kits cost $23.
Instructions are included with the test kit. Place it in the lowest level of the house that you use. When the testing period is over, mail the kit to the lab, and the lab mails back your results in a few weeks.
Links and Resources:
For more information, call (920) 459-3207 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.